Archive for the ‘Work on site’ Category

Info on the first day of the first Open Sound Group collaborative workshop can be found here. Seems silly to repost the same information, so below are a couple of photos of some of the recording experiments and techniques I used today. Advertisements


Experimenting with objects in the space again, this time using a railway sleeper and a hi-fi speaker to make a monolith or totem-pole, headstone or sentinel.


This week I’ve been making some more recordings, including recording the sound of the spade as I’m digging using contact mics. The contact mics are attached to the spade with silver gaffer tape. This first set up worked ok at first but the jolting of the digging movements caused problems with the recorder, so I […]


Last week on site I found a Nissan car radio buried in the top few centimetres of topsoil, as I was looking for pieces of broken records. Below are a couple of images I took today which I might or might not use as publicity shots.


Today I’ve been experimenting, trying out some ideas I’d already planned and playing with objects in the space. First I tested out an idea based on the technique used in Alvin Lucier’s I am Sitting in a Room, as also used by Jacob Kirkegaard in his recordings at Chernobyl. Basic idea was to record the […]


Got quite a lot done today, but mostly experimenting so not much tangible to show. Still, although it meant running for shelter I got a nice recording of the rain from within the shelter of the shed.


Some images taken by Paul Newman of my process as I scour the site for pieces of broken shellac records. The strings on the poles are really a safety feature to stop people falling down the holes. The trays I’m using are photographic darkroom trays, weighed down with bricks to stop them being blown away. […]


This Thursday at the site I was concentrating on recording rather than digging (although, incidentally, I found loads of shellac pieces on the surface close to a test hole I’d already dug). The two images above show contact mics on the metal plates used to board up the windows of the old building. I recorded the ambient sound of […]


Second week on site, this time I was in Birmingham for two days.  For the first day I did lost of test excavations looking for possible sites where there might be more broken record pieces. 12:00 Arrived on site after struggling to find a parking space. Immediately found some broken record pieces in a new area, on the surface […]


The first day of the residency was a gloriously sunny Friday. After meeting with Arlene and Leon and some brief discussion of the schedule (and a bacon butty) I started mapping the site. Below is a sketch plan showing all the appropriate measurements, my failed attempt at trying to use Pythagoras’  theorem to calculate whether one of the corners was […]